Autism spectrum disorder or simply called autism is a range of conditions showing challenging in behavioral, non-verbal communication, and social skills. Based on data from the US Centers for Disease Control, 1 in 59 kids is autistic. Studies also show that ABA Therapy in Pembroke Pines, Florida and other states prove effective in helping kids manage this condition. This therapy aims to improve the social and communication skills of children with autism. But how can you tell if a kid has ASD in the first place?
Early Signs of Autism
Signs of autism can show even as early as the first couple of months of a child’s life. What seems as developmental delays might actually be signs of this type of condition. Specifically, you can tell if kids have autism if they exhibit the following behaviors:
- Doesn’t look at people eye to eye
- Doesn’t respond to the facial expressions of children
- Doesn’t look at objects to catch the parents’ attention
- Shows lack of concern
- Not interested in making friends
- Doesn’t point at objects to show they need them
- Can’t speak a word even when they’re already 16 months
- Just repeats words without fully understanding the words’ meaning
- Doesn’t respond immediately when being called by their name
- Uninterested in communicating with others
These are the common developmental delays children with autism show. Despite these delays, they might also exhibit good rote memory and can even memorize TV jingles. This is the reason Applied Behavior Analysis in Broward County, Florida and other states are being used as intervention programs to address these early signs of autism.
Do you think you have relatives or children with autism? If yes, be sure to avail of the right behavior management tools and programs that kids will be able to cope. You might like to refer to Behavioral Initiatives to talk about the services you might need to support an autistic child’s developmental milestones.